Mission, Vision and Institutes
To equip individuals for leadership and service through the development of a biblical worldview.
To become a leading voice of Christian thought that is biblical in content, transformational in nature, universal in scope and applicable in the marketplace.
Christian Leadership Institutes
I. Biblical Worldview Institute
The foundation of all that the Whitfield Center for Christian Leadership has been called to do is the clear articulation and understanding of a biblical worldview.
- George Barna’s research has shown that only 7-8 percent of Christians who attend even the best teaching churches in America understand and live their lives according to a solidly biblical worldview.
- CSU has already developed that foundation through existing programs:
- The Lens Lecture Series
- Student Leadership Seminars
- Music and Worship Leadership Seminars
- SYNC Conference for Ministers and Lay Leadership
II. Faith Integration Institute
Understanding what the Bible teaches is foundational, but living out that understanding is transformational. The world expects hypocrisy but is disarmed by men and women who actually integrate their faith into every area of their lives – how they teach, how they learn, how they work, how they live their lives.
- CSU's faculty and staff are committed to integrating faith and a biblical worldview into every aspect of the university, and the Whitfield Center is designed to be a resource to support them as they become increasingly effective in accomplishing that goal.
- The Whitfield Center is a resource to assure that every CSU student has the opportunity to be challenged and equipped to move into the next stage of their lives as men and women who will make an impact on their world – an impact that will reflect the image and leadership of Jesus Christ integrated through their lives as they have experienced it at CSU in classes, campus organizations, athletics, relationships with peers and professors.
- God has placed Charleston Southern and the Whitfield Center for Christian Leadership in Charleston at a most opportune time. The city has a significant number of Christian leaders, especially in the marketplace and professions. Those leaders are looking for CSU and the Whitfield Center to be a resource and equipping station as they learn to increasingly integrate faith into an area where the characteristics of a Christian leader – integrity, honesty, serving, prioritizing people, balance in life, etc. – are too often avoided rather than embraced.
- The Whitfield Center provides opportunities for men and women – students, faculty, business and professional leaders – to engage with leaders around the world, and to become part of all that God is doing to build His Kingdom through His Ambassadors in the marketplace.
- The Whitfield Center has developed on-going relationships with Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM) and the Colson Center for Worldview to support both the Worldview and Faith Integration Institutes
III. Marketplace Institute
Leadership is critical in every area of culture and society, but God has uniquely positioned Charleston Southern University and the Whitfield Center for Christian Leadership to focus on the Marketplace. A strong argument can be made that the Marketplace/Business is currently the most influential segment of global culture, and marketplace leaders are shaping the future of cities and nations. The Whitfield Center is developing programs, resources and collaborative relationships in Charleston and beyond that will allow us to influence and have our students be influenced by key leaders who are standing for an integrated biblical worldview in some of the most difficult arenas imaginable.
CSU is engaged with:
1. “God in the Workplace” Programs and Groups
2. Lifeworks Charleston
3. Charleston Leadership Foundation
Collaborative Relationships are currently in process with:
- Blackaby Ministries
- Chick-Fil-A Leadercast
- Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ International)
- C. S. Lewis Institute
- Fellowship of Companies for Christ International (FCCI)
- Global Advance
- Global Think Tank on Business as Mission
- His Way at Work
- Kingdom Advisors
- Lausanne Workplace Network
- South Carolina Baptist Convention
- Southern Baptist Convention
- The Master's Program
- Willow Creek Leadership Summit
- Workplace and Leadership Network
- And other Centers
- The Center for Biblical Entrepreneurship – Regent University
- The Center for Faith & Work – LeTourneau University
- The Center for Integrity in Business – Seattle Pacific University
- The New York City Leadership Center