Becoming a Teacher
Each student who intends to complete an approved program leading to teacher certification must first be admitted to the Professional Program in Teacher Education at Charleston Southern University. Students must complete all requirements as outlined below. Each student is assigned an advisor in the School of Education, and early and consistent advising is necessary to ensure that a student’s program of study includes the correct course sequence for the requirements of the teacher education program.
Benchmark 1: Admission to the Professional Program in Teacher Education
1. Complete EDUC 201 with a "C" or better
2. Complete Declaration of Intent to Seek Certification Form in EDUC 300
3. Complete key professional foundation courses (ENGL 111, ENGL 112, core math, EDUC 300, EDUC 313) with a grade of "C" or better
4. Complete an application for admission to the School of Education (available on Blackboard)
5. Pass PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators.
Candidates who score 24 on ACT, or 1100 on SAT which was taken
prior to March 2005, or 1650 on SAT taken since March 2005 do not
have to take the PRAXIS CORE in order to enter the School of
PRAXIS CORE: Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators passing scores are as follows:
6. Minimum overall GPA of 2.5 - for Spring 2014 ONLY
7. Complete a minimum of 45 hours of coursework
8. Submit two recommendation forms one from faculty outside of Teacher Education and one from a level 300 School of Education Faculty member only.
9. Approval by the Teacher Education Committee - this is only completed after all documentation is submitted
It is very important that students apply for admission to the Professional Program in Teacher Education as soon as the requirements have been met. A student must be admitted to the Professional Program in Teacher Education before enrolling in advanced methods courses. Once the application has been received and all criteria are met, the student’s file will be reviewed by the Dean of Education and submitted with a recommendation to the Teacher Education Committee for review and action. When the Teacher Education Committee formally admits students to the Professional Program in Teacher Education, each student admitted receives an acceptance letter from the Dean of Education.
APPLICATION FOR SCHOOL OF EDUCATION CAN BE FOUND IN BLACKBOARD UNDER YOUR COURSE "EDUCATION MAJORS" - DOCUMENTS. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS WITH THE FORM, CONTACT 843- 863-7555.